Teton Valley Hospital opened its doors in 1938. The building construction was part of a Works Progress Administration project and the original WPA plaque still hangs in the Driggs Health Clinic. At the time of grand opening, Teton Valley Hospital was owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, popularly known as the Mormon Church. Our community supported the construction of the hospital in a variety of ways, including a fundraiser where they auctioned off pigs, chickens, butter, coal, and firewood.
Later, in the early 60’s, the community voted to change the ownership structure to a County-owned and supported facility. Also at that time, the community voted for a bond of $110,000 to help our hospital meet new federal regulations. The hospital bond paid for renovations to the facility and allowed the hospital to continue serving our community.
In 1991, the next significant fundraising evolution began when volunteers formed the hospital auxiliary and opened the See N Save thrift store in Driggs. Fifteen years later, the auxiliary leveraged funding from a private foundation and our hospital for constructing a new, expanded See N Save Thrift Store, at its current site. Later, the existing hospital auxiliary changed its organizational structure to join our Teton Valley Hospital Foundation, an IRS designated non-profit 501 (c)(3).
In 1993, a wave of new federal requirements made it necessary to seek funding for upgrades and renovations that were simply out of reach financially. That’s when the Teton Valley Hospital Foundation was founded, as friends and neighbors were concerned about the possible loss of local medical care. Our Foundation received its 501c3 status in 1994 and a few weeks later, received a $250,000 grant from a private foundation. This critical funding paved the way for the hospital to qualify for a $2 million loan to complete the federally mandated projects.
Our community has continually supported Teton Valley Hospital since our doors opened in 1938. It has not been an easy path; federal requirements, continual improvements in medical technology changes, plus interpretation of the State of Idaho Frazier Act, have all caused financial challenges for Teton Valley Hospital. Hospital Administration has taken active strides in ensuring sustainability for the future through comprehensive strategic planning and visionary leadership to help us move into a future of change and reform in national healthcare.
Teton Valley Hospital Foundation works to support the development, improvement and expansion of the facilities, equipment, services and programs of Teton Valley Health Care.
Funding comes from a variety of sources; federal, state and private grants, donors, private foundations, fundraising events, and net proceeds from See N Save, the thrift store owned and operated by the Hospital Foundation.